Friday, December 21, 2012

Random Listing Before Christmas

So, it's nearing Christmas time, and this is not a post that is like any other of my posts, except in its randomness.  I realize that it's been more than two months since my last post, but I haven't had a whole bunch of time (or perhaps I've just not had writing entries as a high priority lately or managing time to write in the blog), and for awhile I thought it had to be mostly serious-ish entries only.  This past week, I decided to throw that whole idea out.  While there are times that I'm serious, there are also times that I'm very silly (ridiculously so), and this blog is supposed to reflect who I am.  So this entry is going to be a list of some things/people I love, with perhaps an explanation, or perhaps not, depending on whether I feel like it or not.  P.S. the order in which I list things is not necessarily the rank they actually hold in my hierarchy of affection.

1. Transformers: the cartoons/comic books/movies/toys/general merchandise.  I realize that they're supposedly geared towards children, but I grew up watching the cartoon and playing with the toys.  So, yes, while the movies were completely cheesy and ridiculous, I enjoyed all the movies, and will enjoy the 4th that is going to be made.  And yes, I do have an Optimus Prime beach towel that I use.  It's pretty awesome.

2. Penguins: They're just cool.  Yes, they're flightless birds in the air, but once you see them swimming, you'll gain a new appreciation for them.  Plus, they're permanently dressed up, but it seems like in a comfortable way.  They can survive temperatures that are very low, and it kinda makes me wish I had their tolerance.  I don't have a penguin towel, but I do have a penguin shower curtain that I am using in my bathroom at the seminary.

3. Cats: They're so snuggly and independent, but loving.  They're fantastic animals and petting them is so calming.  I'm a big fan of pet therapy anyway, which leads me to the next entry:

4. Dogs: Well, most dogs, I'm not really a huge fan of small, yappy dogs.  However, a dog like a Golden Retriever or St. Bernard would be fantastic too.  Yes, they can be goofy, but they're good companions as well.

5. Taylor Swift: Fantastic person with great music.  Yes, much of her music revolves around break-up songs or "my ex is a horrible person", but she writes what she knows, and seems to write about her experiences and feelings.  She seems to be one of the most authentic songwriters in the major music industry of the last 5 years.  I'm actually listening to the "Red" album as I'm typing this up.

6. John Coltrane: Such heartfelt, easy music.  Easy in the sense that it's easy to listen to.  Coltrane is amazing and I've been on a Coltrane kick recently.

7. Wynton Marsalis: Another brilliant and prolific musician, there seems to be no explanation for his music, you just have to listen to it.  You'll appreciate it when you do.

8. Paintings and Drawings: Communicating through pictures is such a complex endeavour, yet the artists that can do so have wonderful talent. From Raphael, to Van Gogh, to Dali, they all are able to do so in wildly different ways.  Yet they all are also able to convey their meanings in such a complete way.

9. People: Some people are easier to get along with than others, some easier to love, yet each and every person has an effect on our lives.  Some effects we'd rather not deal with, but by their very existence, they have affected us in some way.  They also are made in the image and likeness of God.  No, I may not like every action that some of my friends and family make, let alone all of humanity, and may even speak out against those actions, but everyone is our neighbor.

10. The Church: It's marvelous that even though there have been mistakes made by people in the Church, the fact that God has not let the Church as a whole go wrong.  The Scriptures, the Liturgies, the Deposit of Faith, it's Structure, the Sacraments: it's fantastic.  Do I want all of Christianity to unite, like Jesus' prayer "that they all may be one"? Yes.  Are there ways that we can evangelize better? Of course. But for all the warts that people in the Church may have, including myself, I still love the Church.

11. The Communion of Saints: It's fantastic that we have people that we can look to and say "They were able to do it, so can we."  Obviously, they would all acknowledge the God provided them with the grace in order to do so, but they did cooperate with His Grace, not rejecting Him.  And some of the conversion stories like St. Augustine of Hippo and Blessed Bartolo Longo and the fact that they will intercede for us if we ask them, just like our friends and family here on earth?! It's crazy awesome.

12. Mary: Yes, while Mary is part of the Communion of Saints, she is also the Mother of God, in that through her, Jesus, the Second Person of the Trinity, became incarnate.  She is the Mother of us all, and I have particularly come to love her in the past 3 months, and I am thankful for that.  My favorite image of her is the image of Our Lady of the Angels.

13. My Family: My family is crazy, and I love them.  We're some oddballs but it's fun and while we may disagree at times, I wouldn't trade them for any other family.  Both my immediate and my extended families are very important to me.

14. TEC: Teens Encounter Christ is a wonderful organization, and the people in Great River TEC have impacted my life for the better, so much.  They, along with other friends of mine, have become a second family to me.  Every time I go on a retreat with them, it blows me away, being able to see Christ in each and every one of them, and being able to see how I am made in the image and likeness of God and understanding that more is a great experience.

15. Quincy University: in Quincy, Illinois, my Alma Mater.  So many good times there, so many transitional moments as well.  I grew so much during my time there, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

16. Knights of Columbus: The Knights Councils are made up of wonderful, faith-filled men, and the work done is fabulous.  I am very glad to be a member of this magnificent organization.

17. The Holy Trinity: Three Persons, One God. It blows my mind.  It's a mystery, and that's one of the things I love.  I don't understand it, and I never will, but it's true. There are many treatises on the existence of God, but we will never be able to understand His...really, anything.  God is so good though, good doesn't even begin to capture the concept because God, in entirety, is more than any of us can understand.  Yet, God loved the world so much that Jesus became incarnate, died and rose again, and sent the Holy Spirit.  The fact that God offers Himself to us that much and desires us to take His offer is mindblowing.  It's fantastic.

I realize that 14 items don't encompass all of my affections and love, and the explanations about my feelings toward them doesn't hold a candle as to what I could explain anyway, so hopefully you weren't extremely bored.  Well, hopefully you may have enjoyed the randomness.  But happy Friday everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment