Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Right Name

I chose St. James the Greater as my confirmation saint, and it has turned out to be somewhat fitting.  At the time, I wasn't too interested in doing all that much research into saints.  Looking back, I know that it's a very important choice and shouldn't be taken lightly; however, my 13 year-old self decided to take the easy way out.  As my middle name is James, I thought I might as well take a James to be my confirmation saint.  That actually seems to have backfired, but in the best possible way.  It seems I possess many of the traits that are attributed to St. James: impulsiveness, anger, wanting to use retributive justice instead of charitable justice, being comfortable with asking Jesus for anything, and wanting to truly be close to Jesus.  The first three traits can definitely have a tendency to be negative. I think St. James is really looking out for me because those impulses have been tempered.  While part of that tempering process is growth and maturation, I definitely think St. James deserves some credit as well.  So, thank you St. James.

I'm pretty comfortable asking Jesus for anything, even though I've had problems with His answers in the past.  Looking back, I see that they've been the right answers, even though I didn't realize or appreciate them at the time.  At the moment, I don't have any issues with the answers He's been giving me; however, that's because they're answers I like or am comfortable with.  If I get an answer that I don't like or am not comfortable with, it's entirely possible I may have a temporary problem with it.  I hope not, though.  St. James and I have both misunderstood God's mission for us at times, so I'm definitely part of that club.  It seems that sometimes misunderstanding God's mission for me and, honestly, His mission for the Earth, gives me a greater degree of comprehension when everything does click during moments of understanding.  

So, it seems, my impulsiveness when choosing my Confirmation Saint was a good thing.  St. James, I know you've got my back.  Thanks for that, and I'll be better about looking to you for intercession.  That's one of the reasons why St. James the Greater is a baller.  How have you thought about your Confirmation Saint recently?


No comments:

Post a Comment