Monday, October 3, 2011

Saints I can relate to..

So, about 15 minutes ago, I got done with a really refreshing work-out.  30 minutes jogging on the treadmill and 30 minutes on the elliptical.  I have finally experienced the "runner's high" and second wind; let me tell you, it feels great.  I'm going to keep this up, especially so I can lose some of these extra pounds I'm packing.  Therefore, I'm asking you to help keep me accountable, through the blog, facebook, random text messages, whatever you see fit.  If you don't, I'll know that you all want me to fail and I'll be a sad kangaroo.  (That's a figure of speech, I'm not really a kangaroo).

Anyway, let's get to the main point of this post, shall we?  All saints are legit, right? Like Saints Paul, Peter, Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Therese of Lisieux, Philomena, Pio of Pietrelcina, Bartholomew Longo, etc.  However, with some saints, like Therese, Philomena, and Padre Pio, I've got to ask them, "How in the world can I relate to your life?  You were epically awesome and I am amazed."  Sure, they had problems and there were times that they couldn't feel God's presence, but they never lost faith.  They lived their entire lives dedicated to Jesus, even, maybe especially in the rough times.  There are times when I've been able to relate to that, but there's been one major time where I screwed up majorly.  They are just so much better than I was and am currently.

The thing is, we can always get up with God's help.  I mean, how many times did Peter screw up and he was one of the apostles of Jesus.  St. Augustine, even though St. Monica (his mom) prayed and prayed for him, experimented with many different philosophies and sects, had a son out of wedlock, and at times was a virtual party animal.  St. Bartholomew was raised in a Catholic home, prayed the rosary with his family, then went to school for law and eventually was a satanist.  All three of them underwent conversion of hearts and repentance and contributed majorly to the Catholic Church and were forces for good.  Yet I can relate to them, they screwed up, sometimes majorly; I screw up, sometimes majorly (I haven't experimented with satanism though, just sayin'), and it gives me hope.  We can be like them.  Yeah, we've screwed up, sometimes majorly; but if they can have major conversions and strive to give their all to God, why can't we?

I love all the saints, and I like them all, but finding the ones I can relate to is awesome.  Find ones you can relate to.  It may sound weird, but if they can do it, we can too.  We're all called to be saints.  Reason #34 why I love the Catholic Church.  (Yes, I'm making up numbers, but we'll see if I can get a coherent numbering system to work.)  Have a blessed night and day tomorrow.  And I will probably go in depth about certain saints in the future, cause they're awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment