Sunday, January 29, 2012

What was that again?

Two weeks ago, I tweeted about watching Antiques Roadshow; it was actually how I preferred to watch that instead of the GOP debate (any political debate actually).  The next day I saw that a few people had referenced my tweet, including Debbie Matenopoulos.  I was strangely pleased, and it's probably the closest I'm going to get to meeting any celebrity.  It was just one comment, and a silly one at that, but the recognition felt good.  

Even if we're not seeking the recognition of others when we do things, it's something we appreciate.  We want to be acknowledged for what we do, especially when we do a good job or a job we don't really want to do.  Regardless of whether those who recognize us have a degree of fame or not, the affirmation helps our confidence, as well as doing future tasks.  If we didn't have that affirmation, would we think it was worth doing or doing well?  Do you ever do something and hope that someone mentions that you did a good job?  I know I do, maybe it's not the right motivation to do it, but I can admit my faults.  

Yet, there's a much stronger motivation to do your best in this life, especially in your faith: “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.  He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.  Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’  Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you?  When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’  And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’"  Matthew 25:31-40.

I can't even imagine what it would feel like to hear that.  Now that's not to say that I'm perfect in my faith-life, as I'm far from perfect, but we all have to strive to live our faith.  If we fall down and let ourselves become lost and remain in the dark, we need to pick ourselves up.  Sometimes we need our friends to assist us in our journeys and struggles (I actually need them constantly), but we also need the Trinity.  If we don't look to God, how are we going to know which way to go and rely on Him? I don't know about you, but I want to hear, "Well done, my good and faithful servant.  I'm trying to keep that as my compass, more and more each day.  Some days I'm more successful, some days I'm less, but I'm doing my best, are you?  

I realize this was kind of a lighter post/reflection, but it'd been on my mind and it's my blog, so I'm gonna do what I want with it.  Anyway to close it out, I'm going to put a video that I just found, by Johanna Philio, and really enjoy, that's very fitting.  


3 comments:

  1. Yes. Jesus is big on what you actually do. If your faith isn't showing through your good works, then you're kidding yourself about your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started following your blog and I'd like to say... well done, good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoy it.

      Delete