Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Being a child of God

"24 Wherefore the law was our pedagogue in Christ, that we might be justified by faith.25 But after the faith is come, we are no longer under a pedagogue. 26 For you are all the children of God by faith, in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as have been baptized in Christ, have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek: there is neither bond nor free: there is neither male nor female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you be Christ's, then are you the seed of Abraham, heirs according to the promise." -Galatians 3:24-29 Douay-Rheims Bible.

The definition of pedagogue is a teacher, most often a dull, formal, narrow, precise teacher.  Thanks to Merriam-Webster online for the definition.  One could say that a pedagogue is unimaginative, a teacher who, when asked a background question, or why something is a certain way says something along the lines of, "I don't know why, but it doesn't matter. This is just the way it is, don't ask any more questions."  Well, it doesn't work like that, at least it shouldn't.  

If we do not know the how of the answer, that's okay; the majority of the time we know the why of the answer: because God loves you/us/them.  However, in my not so august opinion, we can't make that a flippant answer either.  When someone asks us why can't animals can't talk with us, or answer should not be, "I don't know, I'm not God.  As I was saying..." or "Because God loves us that's why."  Shouldn't our answer be more along the lines of "Well, because God loves us, he made each animal differently. Humans can talk and understand each other, dogs can bark, cats can meow, cows can moo, etc"?   

 As children of God, we have the obligation to treat each other with the same respect, honesty, and charity that we believe that we deserve.  If they're different than us, have developmental disabilities, aren't a particularly nice person, are children or have to many similarities to us than we're comfortable with it doesn't matter.  They, as children of God, have value; not out of any thing that we as human beings can assign, but because they are God's children.  The opposite is the same as well, we deserve to be treated with respect, honesty, and charity as well.  This is not saying that I expect to be treated better than someone else, or that I am better than you, because I am not; we are all children of God.  Remember though, you need to treat yourself with the same respect, honesty and charity that you treat others.  Yes, you know your own faults, as I know mine.  You also know your own achievements, as I know mine; however, the saying that we are our own worst critics is true, at least most of the time.  So, while this post is wildly different than what I had envisioned when I had the inspiration over the retreat, it still fits.  I wrote/transcribed a few prayers during that time.  I'm not saying they're anything spectacular, as they're simple, and they work for me.  If they work for you too, that's great, I hope they do.  Use them freely, wherever you desire; if you don't want to, I won't be offended.  I'll post them individually with the post that goes with it.  No, I don't have titles for them either.  

God, you know my strengths
and you know my faults.
You know my accomplishments
and my failures.
You shepherd me through the dark times,
as well as the light.
Help me remember, God,
that my value is not in my deeds;
nor does my value diminish if I fall.
I have value because
I am your child
and you made me.
Live in me, Lord,
and fill me with your Spirit.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment