Thursday, September 22, 2011

An encounter

Last Saturday, a group of us went to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.  We took the Metra to Union Station and ate there.  We sat in the spot that I used to sit in when I was coming back from Milwaukee and waiting for my train back to Quincy.  I had gone to the Pizza Hut in the station (another typical moment for me there) and one of the other guys had chosen the spot to sit in, as he had gotten his food quicker than the other four of us.  I had gotten a personal pan pizza with the breadsticks and drink because it was cheaper.  I knew I would only eat one breadstick, but the other Adam said he'd eat the other two, so I got them.

One table forward in the column to my right, there was a homeless man sitting.  He wasn't asking for any money, he was just minding his own business.  I finished my pizza and the breadstick I was going to eat, then passed the box with the other two to Adam.  He ate one and asked the other three if they wanted the last one, but we were all full.  During that time, the gentleman had gotten what looked to be a small container of candy out and was eating the candy.  I was thinking that if no one else was going to be eating the last breadstick, I should give it to him.  Adam decided to throw it away.  I could have stopped him, I had time to say something, but I didn't.  In a way, I was afraid that the others would think it was a silly idea.  I let that food go to waste.  I was torn, but I didn't act and that's been weighing on me.

The gentleman may have been insulted, sad, or thankful but I'll never know.  I walked away without extending any charity and I'm ashamed that I did that.  I enjoy helping people, even those I don't know, but Christ calls us to it.  It doesn't matter if we enjoy it or if it makes us uncomfortable, we're called to follow Christ and help our brothers and sisters.  I pray that the next time I have the chance to have a similar encounter that I will be a reflection of Christ.  Tonight, I am going to pray for that man and all the men, women and children without a place to call home.

If you have an encounter like that where you live, I'm begging you: be a reflection of Christ.  Extend your hand to your brother or sister.  I realize that it may sound hypocritical, as I was not that reflection; however, I'm striving to be a better Catholic all the time.  Whatever happens in these experiences will make you think and, hopefully, help us become better at living our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment